Gardening information for zone 6 Ohio in neutral clay soil. The backbone of my gardens Hosta, Heather,
Heuchera, flowering shrubs, perennials, ground covers, conifers, and trees.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Heather and Heath Sedum House and Garage Renovation

The renovation is completed. Unfortunately I still have a lot of work to do cleaning and going through things. When I originally bought this house many years ago, the garage had already been converted into one big room. Short time later I changed it to two rooms. The time came for it to go back to a garage.

Photobucket
Thought I would start off with the welcome planter which welcomes you at my front door, shown with Sedum Blue Spruce.

Photobucket
The Heather Hill. We had so little snow this year, not that I am complaining but this shows the largest amount that fell here this year. My favorite garden during the Winter. It's so nice to pull in the driveway and see this lovely area during the dreary months. I've ordered a few new Heathers to fill in this a little more towards the front area and they will be going in soon.

Photobucket
This is the old family room and den after demolition. Forgive the spotting, even my camera had drywall dust on the lens that I didn't realize at the time. Before starting the project but after special ordering 3 new entry doors, I called Ablaze Home Improvement and said I could not live without atleast a small space at the end of the garage for a small mudroom/office/grooming room. That's when this became a renovation and no longer a project. This is the mess tearing out the walls that separated this into 2 rooms. I also realized that the stuff I had moved out into this room hoping to work around was a problem. That evening I moved all that out under my semi-enclosed patio.

Photobucket
This meant closing up the current doorway opening in the dining room to the garage and opening a new doorway at the end of this area of the dining room which would be into the new office and then the entry door to the garage from there. We tore out the drywall on both of these dining room walls also since they were papered before and the drywall really needed replaced, and added wall insulation with the new walls. The backdoor you see out to the patio was also replaced and storm door at the same time.

Photobucket
It was a lot of work from what you saw above, but here is the dining room with new drywall, new paint and new doorway opening and trim to the office.

Photobucket
Closer view into the new office. It's not real big and since it's mostly for me grooming Yorkies in, it works well for me. The door to the garage is immediately to the left here. There is beadboard on three walls and the new wall with the door is painted.

Photobucket
The interior of my new garage. Two of the walls I left the paneling on and painted the new wall separating the office. My garage floor is ceramic tiled though and apparently not a problem with my car on it. Thankfully I won't have the demolition of that also being tore out. :)

Photobucket
My new garage door. I liked this design and the grooves very much fit the pattern with my new plank entry doors. It's so nice to go out and just hit a button for the garage, drive off without cleaning off car windows and was past time for me to look ahead at what I can do as I've been doing with my gardens and changing over to a lot of shrubs.

This renovation required me to take out my wood burning stove which then required repairing the roof where the venting went through it. There just wasn't room for it in the little office, but I hated having to let go of my alternate heat source. We had to remove the light fixtures in both rooms and add 2 new ones in different locations. New flooring in the office also since what I had didn't work for the size of the room. Now the big problem I'm dealing with is 2 rooms of things to get rid of. I'm currently preparing for a huge garage sale. Hard to let go of so many things, but times change.


50 comments:

Giga said...

Jednym słowem miałaś dużo ciężkiej pracy i trochę Cie jeszcze czeka. Będziesz miała jednak tak jak chciałaś i to z pewnością Cię cieszy. Pozdrawiam. *** In a word, you've had a lot of hard work and some you even waiting. You will, however, was just as you wanted and you are sure to enjoy. Yours.

Rebecca said...

Things DO change - and it looks to me like you've created space that suits your lifestyle & needs. How nice!

Your heather "patch" is a sweet sight. I can't believe that's all the snow you got...although we've not had much either. And when it DID snow, rain generally followed and washed it away quickly.

Unknown said...

WOW, what changes. Everything looks so great and functional. Change is GOOD. Enjoy your new spaces.

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Cher,
Wow, you have been very busy...
Everything looks just wonderful!
Love the new garage doors and the opener I just love mine too! And the parking inside it is the best thing ever... Love the quilt on your dining room table. The Heather Hill looks so nice and won't it be great when you add more there. All of your hard work has certainly paid off!
Enjoy!
All the Best,
Christine

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Your changes look good. You now have the garage for a garage sale!
I like your heathers. That is a lovely display to come home to.

Becca's Dirt said...

Lots of work going on there. It sure will be nice on those rainy days.

Rohrerbot said...

Good for you! I know I know...it's hard to let things go...but they are just that...things. I also have the same issues, but I just don't have the time to figure out how much each item is worth...etc. Love the drywall and the design of your garden. It's really interesting and is a piece of art. Hope you're having a good weekend. Chris

Julie Marie said...

Lots of changes for you!... can't wait to get back out in the gardens too... love your heather!... xoxo Julie Marie

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Gardening time can' come fast enough for me!

Great pictures!

S
xo

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Cher
You went through a lot of change with your renovation but the finished room looks lovely.
The front entranceway looks nice, I like the red bricks and stone.
Judith

La Gata Coqueta said...



Pasa un grato domingo en compañía de los seres que quieres y te quieren, sazonado por el aroma de las risas y las sensaciones de todas esas pequeñas cosas que nos sorprenden e ilusionan en multitud ocasiones por no ser esperadas.

Un abrazo silencioso
y un beso aterciopelado
de tu amiga...
María del Carmen

Casa Mariposa said...

Small projects have a way of turning into huge ones very quickly. But it;s always wonderful when they turn out the way you want them to. I love your heather hill! Great idea!

Kate said...

Hi Cher!
How fun! At least now that it's over. You renovations turned out beautifully. How nice to have a garage that you actually use for your car.

Patsy said...

A lot of work, but sure you will be glad to have a garage now.

Diana LaMarre said...

What a big job, but you will love having a garage next winter (when you will probably not be so lucky with the little snowfall). I remember how thrilled I was when we finally had an electric garage door opener installed.

Good luck getting rid of all the extra furnishings. Hopefully you will make some extra cash from the sale.

GirlSprout said...

Cher, my family room is a converted garage. Sometimes, I wish it was a garage still. The renovation looks great. Hope you enjoy it!

DeniseinVA said...

How wonderful it must be to see the results of those renovations. Your home looks great!

Mark and Gaz said...

Hi Cher! Sounds like it was a huge job and the renovation caused inconvenience for a while but glad to know that is finished now and all you need to do is just a bit of tidy up. The finished results looks good and is great to see! Well done you all :)

Kittie Howard said...

An amazing amount of work led to a gorgeous transformation. Oh, but the end result is gorgeous!

The Darby Creek Diaries said...

Wow! This was a whole lot more than I had envisioned. So glad you can enjoy it now. Doesn't it figure we didn't have much snow to scrape this year But you will still get the joy of not running through rain and carrying all your groceries through the house.

Congratulations!
Gale

Malar said...

That's a lot of work! Total home renovation i guess!
Hope your new renovated home bring more hapiness to you! ;)

Sissy said...

Yay, good for you to have a nice warm car to get into! It seems like your changes had a domino effect!
You must be a very patient person, but how rewarding--and to have a room just to groom your Yorkies in!? Wonderful, Cher!
Heathers do not do well, here and I don't ever see them! I would LOVE to see an entire hill of them, such a great design idea!

Bengts fotoblogg said...

Your changes look good, great post.

Jenny Woolf said...

Wow, what a fantastic renovation! You must be so proud of it.
I love heathers. So many people think heather is just one plant (or, two, white and mauve) but actually they are so varied. I went to the flower show at Hampton Court Palace last June and it was an eye opener to me to see how many varieties of quite ordinary plants there are. Here in England, heather grows wild in many areas, and it's marvellous to go out in the heath land in July when it is all in bloom.

Kippy Marrie said...

Olá amigos...
Também amo visitar seu blog. É lindo tudo aqui.
OBRIGADA PELA AMIZADE DE VOCES.
Tenham um ótimo dia.
Fiquem com Deus.
Aus 1000 e Beijos 1000 de minha mamãe Lilly...
Com amor e carinho do Brasil ...

KIPPY

Lona said...

A lot of work Cher but it all looks wonderful. I bet you are glad it is all done. I like your heather hill.Hope you are enjoying this warm weather.

Neuer Gartentraum said...

Das sieht nach sehr viel Arbeit aus. Aber der Aufwand hat sich sicher gelohnt.
Jetzt hast du es richtig schön und kannst in die neue Gartensaison starten.
Gruß
Anette

greggo said...

you must be exhausted. Usually change is for the good.

Unknown said...

very helpful to me personally

Unknown said...

very helpful to me personally

Rosor och Pioner said...

Looks nice and a lot of work.
hope everthing is well with you and that you are enjoying the spring.

Hugs Susanne

Kippy Marrie said...

Amiguinha...
Hoje é DIA DO BLOGUEIRO.
Parabéns para todos nós blogueiros.
OBRIGADA PELA AMIZADE DE VOCES.
Fiquem com o Papai do Céu.
Aus 1000 e Beijos 1000 das amigas blogueiras...

KIPPY & LILLY

Liz @ Sit With Me In My Garden said...

Wow that was a big project! Looks like it turned out great and I think it's smart to have the garage back. Once you start selling those things and they are out of sight you will forget about them. Then you can enjoy the money and perhaps buy something you need now for your new space!
I wish that was the only amount of snow we had here!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

You have been very busy. But it is nice to know what you have been up to.

Kippy Marrie said...

Olá amiga... Estou na árvore para dizer que aqui no Brasil começou o outono....
Obrigada pela visita e por ser minha amiguinha sempre.
Fica com o Papai do Céu e ótimo final de semana a todos de sua família...
Aus 1000 e Beijos 1000 com carinho...

KIPPY & LILLY

Rose Garden Malevik said...

Lot of changes here :)
and do not miss...

S
A
T
U
R
D
A
Y

S
H
O
W

O
F
F

Last week it was 110 nice Blogs
It is FUN :)
WELCOME
Håkan ( The Roseman)

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for your comment!
love your visits to our blogger.
come back soon!
licking the Kiwi and Kaki

Andrea said...

Wow that's something of a post, and i am sure it is always exciting to see new things. I laughed at the 2 roomful of things to discard off, that's a lot!

Unknown said...

Hi Cher,
The changes look great! Well worth the effort. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day.
Judy

jerilanders said...

First off, I love the heath and heather garden. I have had ZERO success with these plants. I love the way you have placed them in the bed so beautifully.
Great renovation job,I know how much work goes into these projects since we just finished one ourselves. But it's so worth it, isn't it?!

VW said...

Wow, wow, what a big project! I'm so happy for you getting a garage to park in! We hadn't had a garage before moving to Spokane 5 years ago, and it was such a joy to get into a car that was less hot in summer and less cold in winter and never needed scraping when it snowed. Plus the kids were contained and couldn't run into the road, LOL. Love the heather bed, too.

Dewi said...

Such a big project to tackle, and good luck with everything!

Dig Brooklyn said...

My you have been busy Cher! Spring brings out the project manager in all of us. Good luck and thanks for the wonderful post!

Makarimi Abdullah said...

Lots of changes for you. Suit with your needs. I like the garage door design ...simple and nice ;) Overall the changes looks great.

kitchen flavours said...

You must be very busy now, with the renovation and cleaning up! Good luck with the garage sale!

Kippy Marrie said...

Amiguinhos...
Ótima Páscoa... Cheio de amor, paz e muita alegria e diversão.
E muitos ovinhos de chocolate.
Fiquem com o Papai do Céu.
Aus 1000 e Beijos 1000 de mamis...

KIPPY & LILLY

Diane at My Cottage Garden said...

Cher!

You had snow! Wow. And you've been so busy with renos.

Spring is here and I'm very much looking forward to gardening again.

Cheers,
Diane

carmencreazioni said...

Auguri di serena Pasqua a te e i tuoi cari!!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Lovely transformation.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Kippy Marrie said...

Olá amiguinha tudo bem??
Desejamos um ótimo final de semana pra voce e sua família.
Gosto de vir passear aqui. É bonito seu blog e suas fotos.
Parabéns.
Fica com o Papai do Céu.
Aus 1000 e Beijos 1000 de mamis...

KIPPY & LILLY